Saturday, December 8, 2007

Man, you're such a sellout

So I was just talking to Marge on the phone about Christmas stuff, and since she got my name, we were talking about what I might like for Christmas. I mentioned the possibility of some clothes I can wear to work and out in society. After I said that, I mentioned to Marge that if the six-year old version of me was to hear that, he would flip his lid. So, here is how I think a conversation with my six-year old self about Christmas would go:

6-year old Mike: What do you want for Christmas? I want toys!!!
31-year old Mike: Actually, I think some clothes for work would be decent.
6-year old Mike: WHAT?!!! CLOTHES?!!! Why would you want clothes for Christmas? Next you're gonna tell me you don't like the Cowboys anymore.
31-year old Mike: Well, I am a Packer fan.
6-year old Mike: GRRRR!!!! You don't want toys, you don't like the Cowboys?!!! What's next? You like girls now too? It's bad enough you like Margaret now!
31-year old Mike: Well, when you grow up, you actually start liking your brothers and sisters. And, boys usually start liking girls.
6-year old Mike: GRRRRR (that would probably be how I would express anger, considering this was just after I was told I couldn't swear until I was 12)!!! At least you still hate all veggies, right?
31-year old Mike: Actually, I sometimes eat the occasional veggie. But not onions....
6-year old Mike: You've changed....but onions are yucky! At least you still like cereal, right?
31-year old Mike: Oh yeah...but I have bad news for you, kid...they don't sell Halfsies anymore.
6-year old Mike: Grrrr.....

Well, the six-year old version of me wasn't that articulate. Hell, the 31-year old version of me isn't that articulate. But, that would probably be the jist of it.

So, my question to the group is this: What would the 6-year old version of you think of the adult version of you?

3 comments:

Mr. D said...

The 6-year old me was sartorially challenged, obsessed with the weather and clumsy as hell. I suspect we'd get along just fine.

You may have a future as a screenwriter, Mike. Very good post!

Paulie said...

I think I'd get along just fine with the six-year old me. After all, I still 'just know' everything and I still like alternative rock. Ar shmugga-rar to the lot of you!

Marge said...

The six-year old me was into such things as Strawberry Shortcake, Scooby Doo, and playing after school with Maggie Jack and on weekends with Mike Schnese. While my interests have changed slightly, I think I'd like that kid a lot. I think that kid would like me, too!

Paul, it is tough to be a birdie!