Sunday, December 2, 2007

Getting Down to Business

So I figure someone other than Mark should post something on here. All joking aside, I think there are a couple of serious topics that should be discussed amongst Heuring Nation (as my buddy Jason calls us).

1. American journalism - Many people believe that the quality of journalism in this country has gone downhill significantly in the past few years. My question is this: Is it bad enough where perhaps a former neighbor of ours would qualify as a journalist by interviewing Appleton-area ants?

2. The decline of industry - Since it was alluded to in the comments of the first post, I need to ask: Why has the home delivery of orange juice declined? Is it because the consumer prefers to buy canisters of orange juice concentrate, and have to drive in order to do so? Or, did the fat cat plutocrats who run the industry want to simply fatten their pockets by not paying good people like Bud to deliver pure quality Michigan orange juice to the homes of America (or at least a certain home in the Hycrest subdivision of Appleton, Wisconsin)? I think the Florida growers were scared of a little competition and conspired to get this fine tradition eliminated. I don't know if I like an America where we are forced to drive to the store, buy orange juice (especially in concentrate form), and in some cases, make it ourselves. Where do the presidential candidates stand on bringing back home orange juice delivery and busting up the Florida orange juice cartel? This will determine how I vote in 2008.

3. Property rights - Is it really that bad to hit buckets of golf balls into neighbors' yards? I'm sorry, if a former Kimberly industrial arts teacher didn't want us hitting golf balls into his yard, he should have made his yard less inviting. Sure, you could give us the "it's his property" argument, but darn it, there were so few trees, it was like a real-world fairway. No one short of God himself could resist that temptation. Although, in retrospect, he shouldn't have mowed his lawn so much. Hitting into his well-manicured lawn has not allowed me to have the skills necessary to hit out of the rough (which is where I play most of my golf). Say that reminds me, I wonder how his wall of trees are doing?

I think we need to tackle serious issues on this blog such as the ones I just mentioned. I am sure there are more than just these that will come up as time goes by. But, I figured this was a good start.

My first blog post...hopefully it gets better from here.

1 comment:

Mr. D said...

Heckuva first post, Mike! Stirring, even.

1) No. But he could be a blogger. In fact, it's quite likely he is one.

2) I can only assume that if Bud were still around, and who knows, maybe he is, he'd be a Schwan's man. And remember, you gotta watch out for the Schwan's man.

3) I've played golf with you, sir. Can't blame Brown for that. And I can only assume that those trees are at least 100 feet tall these days, given the diet of Heuring poo that they were able to dine on.