Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Mark-isms

OK, so I want to try to wake this thing up one more time. So, I think it would be fun for us to come up with our favorite lines, one-liners, jokes, and the like from each of us. Of course, we can contribute our own favorites. Each of us will get our turn. Let's start with Mark. We'll finish with me (so you'll have to wait a few posts for "slave of the world").

Here's a couple of Mark-isms to start:
1. Fuick (take the I out, and you have one for all six of us!!)
2. Milk-milk-milk-milk
3. "That and 35 cents will get you a cup of coffee at the student union." This one was said to members of the Lawrence University women's basketball team after they called Mark out on a questioning a call during a Beloit-Lawrence men's basketball game. The women informed Mark they were in first place. The quote above was his response.

6 comments:

Paulie said...

Yes he was often dim-witted while outwitting. Less well known than perhaps the price of coffee at the student union at Lawrence is the -ism from his first and only fight. As he was fighting some kid by the railroad tracks near Jefferson Elementary School, someone yelled to Mark to give him the one-two punch. So Mark counted "One, two", and then punched the other kid. I've always thought that was funny.

Mike said...

Interesting story...I can't believe I forgot "Name Five," Mark's response to being told to eat his vegetables because of starving children in India.

Mr. D said...

"Name five" is still my favorite one, even though Dad hit me with his shoe after I said it.

I sure remember that fight, Paul. Ol' Chuck Butler decided that he was going to get some street cred by picking on the dorky new kid with the bad glasses. I remember that he had a loose tooth and I knocked it out for him and eventually his big brother had to bail him out. I will say this - after that was over, no one ever really bothered me again at Jefferson. And that meant something, because those first 2-3 weeks there were just awful.

Marge said...

I can't add anything here - let me think about it... ;)

This is an excellent idea, Mike. Glad you're trying to keep this bad oscar going.

Very entertaining - I think "Name Five" is truly a classic. It's gonna be a hard one to top.

On a completely unrelated note, I was on the road for work today and got to drive by the thriving metropolis of Dundas! I hadn't been back that way in years and years.

Mike said...

Dundas, huh? I am surprised that you still aren't there trying to get through that traffic. Do you what they call rush hour in Dundas? A good day.

carolh said...

Not so much an "ism" as it was Nazi-ism, one year in the mid 80's Mark had my name for Christmas. I of course wanted a Rick Springfield, Duran Duran, or Corey Hart (the singer not the Brewer) album for my present. Nope. Got Talking Heads 77. Not because I wanted it but because I "should" have it. Now, I work Ina bar where there is a lot of dancing going on, and I hear a lot more "Jessie's Girl" than I do "Psycho Killer, Qu'est ce que?" and don't get me going on "girls on Film"